CHARLESTON, W.Va.-Commissioner Joe Miller of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles would like to remind customers of the new driver’s licensing requirements beginning Tuesday, January 3, 2012. The goal of these new requirements is to improve the integrity and security of all driver’s licenses and identification cards, reduce identity fraud and make it more difficult it tamper with or create counterfeit licenses and ID cards.
According to Miller, customers will be asked to bring in the same documentation that would normally bring when applying for their first driver’s license or ID card. “Three requirements need satisfied to receive a new license or ID card or obtain a duplicate or renewal, per federal guidelines starting January 3rd.” These requirements include:
Proof of Identity (must have one)
• Original or certified copy of a US Birth Certificate
• Valid, unexpired US Passport
• Valid, unexpired Department of Homeland Security (DHS) documents
Proof of Social Security Number (must have one)
• Original Social Security Card
• Wage and Tax Statement (W-2) or payroll stub (must have applicant’s employer name and
ID number, as well as applicant’s name, address, and Social Security Number)
• Social Security Administration 1099 Form
Proof of West Virginia Residency (must have two)
• WV utility bills not more than 60 days old
• Tax records with a WV street address
• WV mortgage documents, WV homeowner insurance documents for a WV residence or
proof of WV home ownership
• WV W-2 form not more than 18 months old
• WV weapons permit
• Valid WV Motor Vehicles registration card
• WV driver’s eligibility certificate (School Enrollment Form) if applicant is under age 18
with the applicant’s WV street address
• WV Homestead Tax exemption
• Proof of WV Public Assistance
• Residential or lease agreement
• WV DMV Affidavit of Residency
Commissioner Miller added, “If your legal name has changed, such as through marriage or divorce, you must bring in name change documents so that DMV can establish a link in your identity.” Examples of name change documents include a marriage certificate, court order, or divorce decree with name change.
Customers will also choose between two types of driver’s licenses and ID cards: those FOR federal identification purposes and those NOT FOR federal identification purposes. The cards and licenses will look the same except the “for” federal identification license or ID will have a gold star in the corner and will take approximately 10 business days to ship directly to the customer via UPS. In the meantime, a temporary license will be issued. The benefit of this license or ID card is that a customer will be able to use it to more easily board aircraft and enter federal buildings.
“Not For Federal Identification” will be printed across the regular license and ID cards, and those will be available to the customers before they leave a DMV office.
For more information, please contact the WV DMV at 1-800-642-9066.