The West Virginia Vehicle Registration System (VRS) is a new online filing system being implemented by the Division of Motor Vehicles. VRS allows you to enter vehicle purchase information and generate your temporary tag or transfer registration and necessary DMV forms. Upon completion, the information will be communicated electronically to the DMV. Recent system enhancements give you more flexibility in completing your filing. You have the option to send your title paperwork with a check attached for taxes and fees to the DMV within 60 days, just as you do today OR you will have the option to remit the information and payment electronically though the system – it’s your choice. Some of the benefits you will receive from the new system are:
No More Handwritten DMV Forms
Completing temporary tags and DMV forms by hand will be a thing of the past. All forms necessary to file a title application, registration, transfer and dealer title will be generated from the information you enter into the new online system.
Time Savings and Reduced Paperwork
- Quickly generate at temp tag or transfer registration by entering the minimum information required into a simple one page form.
- Produce a temp tag or transfer without purchase price, trade-in, or lien information.
- Improve customer service and turnaround time by completing the full filing at a later date (full filing is optional).
- Allow title clerks to review and change information before it is submitted electronically and finalized.
- Continue to send title paperwork with a check for taxes and fees if you prefer.
Full Electronic Filings
- Copies of temporary registration or transfer slips no longer need to be mailed to the DMV.
- Notice of Lien form will no longer need to be faxed to the DMV.
- Paper checks will no longer be necessary – for full filings, the system will automatically withdraw applicable fees and taxes due to the DMV within a reasonable time frame.
- The current temporary tag logbook will be eliminated!
Increased Access to Vehicle Information
Search vehicle title, lien, and odometer information by West Virginia title number or VIN for free.
Simplified Temporary Tag Inventory Ordering
Temp tag supplies will be automatically accounted for within the system and can be easily ordered online.
How Does the Online Vehicle Registration System Work?
Through a secure online form, your designated employees will follow a series of intuitive, step-by-step screens to enter owner, vehicle sale, trade-in, lien, and insurance information for each vehicle sale. No additional software is needed… it is 100% web-based all you need to get started is a computer with internet access and any popular browser software such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari.. Once complete, the information is sent electronically to the DMV.
Print the temporary tag or transfer slip, temporary registration and all DMV-related paperwork that the system creates for you using any standard printer. All temp tags include inventory control numbers and barcodes for greater security.
The specific pieces of temporary tag paper are assigned to the dealership or license service location that ordered them. Paper is not transferrable between dealerships or locations. Transfer slips do not require a control number and will be printed on plain paper.
Place the transfer plate or printed temporary tag on the vehicle just as you do today. The new temporary tags printed at your dealership or license service will be placed into a plastic envelope for protection from the elements.
You can then mail all forms generated by the system along with the original title and any other relevant forms to the DMV for title processing and hard plate issuance.
No Internet Access? No Problem!
Dealerships and license services without an internet-enabled computer can participate in the fax version of the program. Fax dealers will complete a customized form specific to the type of title and registration you are processing and fax it to a dedicated call center where the information will be entered into the system. The produced temp tag or transfer slip and necessary forms will then be faxed back to the dealership or license service and printed through your fax machine.