Recreational Trails Fund Program (RTP)
In 1991, Congress initiated a number of reimbursable grant programs, including the RTP, designed to enhance America's "Livable Communities" through the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA).
In West Virginia, eligible applicants my either be
- Non-profit organizations;
- Local governments;
- Regional transportation authorities;
- Transit agencies;
- Natural resource or public land agencies;
- School districts, local education agencies or schools;
- Tribal governments;
- Another other local or regional governmental entity with responsibility for or oversight of transportation of recreational trails (other than a metropolitan planning organization or a State agency) that the State determines to be eligible.
The DOH has implemented a new electronic process for RTP project applications. This process may be found at http://dohgrants.wv.gov. This year an applicant may complete and submit a digital Intent-to-Apply (ITA) form for a proposed RTP project. In past grant cycles, following DOH approval of their paper ITAs, applicants could begin work on their paper applications. Now, the application is also completed online.
RTP applications are reviewed by a Recreational Trails Advisory Board, appointed by the Governor, which makes recommendations for grant awards to the Secretary of Transportation.
RTP funds are made available to the DOH, who administers the RTP program, by the Federal Highway Administration.
View the Recreational Trails Program Guidelines and Application Package/Manual.
Recreational Trails Program
Ryan Burns, Program Manager
Community Development Specialist
West Virginia Department of Transportation
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Building 5, Fourth Floor
Charleston, WV 25305-0430
Phone: 304 558-9297
Fax: 304 558-3783
Last Updated: 3/16/2015