Winter Driving Tips
Prepare Your Vehicle
- Check tire tread and tire pressure
- Check your battery
- Fill up on windshield washer fluid
- Make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition
Have a Roadside Safety Kit on Hand
- Ice scraper
- Jumper cables
- Tow rope
- Flashlight & batteries
- Reflective warning triangle & safety vest
- Gloves,winter hat, & other warm clothing
- Hand warmers
- First aid kit
- Water & snacks
- Sand or kitty litter for traction, in case you get stuck in snow
Know Before You Go!
Check road conditions before you head out...
- Dial 5-1-1 from a landline or cellphone.
- Log onto www.wv511.org for traffic information, road conditions, and weather information.
Staying Safe on the Roads
- Clear snow & ice from all windows and lights
- Buckle up, it's the law!
- Just drive. Avoid distractions behind the wheel.
- Slow down! It takes longer to stop, accelerate, and turn on snow covered roads.
- Leave extra space between your vehicle and other vehicles around you.
- Do not use cruise control.
- Don't crowd the plow. Keep back at least 100 feet.